“Pro iis in periculo subterraneo – For those in peril underground – Er budd y sawl mewn perygl o dan y ddaear”
The 2017 Conference will be hosted by the South & Mid Wales Cave Rescue Team at the South Wales Caving Club HQ, 1-10 Powell Street, Penwyllt, Pen-y-Cae, Swansea, South Wales.
Following on from the success of the 2015 BCRC Conference in the Forest of Dean, the next conference takes place in South Wales.
During the conference there will be a full programme of lectures, workshops, above-ground demonstrations and below-ground exercises in Ogof Ffynnon Ddu.
Accommodation will be available in the SWCC Penwyllt Cottages, the camping field for tents, and with parking available for camper vans.
Please note the conference weekend in your diary.
Registration is now open
Details on fees and payment are available at:
Enquiries and further information available from BCRC Conference secretary/ SMWCRT Conference co-ordinator:
Peter Dennis Contact e-mail: BCRCconference@caverescue.org.uk
See the outline programme listed below,
or download a PDF copy: BCRC Rescue conference 2017 circular (pdf)
- Arrivals and registration from 16:00h; soup and sandwich supper; real ale and cider bar and general mixer event.
Morning plenary talks
- Official opening by Chris Davies MP, welcome from BCRC and SMWCRT chairmen.
- Latest news on voluntary SAR and the Police (Dep Chief Constable Gareth Pritchard), Advanced First Aid Training (Gary Evans and Brendan Sloan) and SARCALL (Jon Whiteley).
- Latest developments on SAR Helicopters (Dougie MacDonald, MCA/ Clark Broad, Bristows), CaveLink (Felix Ziegler) and Cave Diving Rescue kit (CDG).
- Social media and cave rescue – salutary lessons (Toby Hamnett)
- Challenges facing cave rescue in the UK (Bill Whitehouse)
Afternoon Training Workshops and Demonstrations
Saturday and Sunday (opportunities to participate in a wide variety of activities)
- Above-ground training workshops on:
- casualty care,
- Nicola 3 radio upgrades,
- cave diving rescue,
- peer review of cave rescue teams,
- tours of SMWCRT Rescue Depot and LandRover,
- practical demonstration in safe and effective use of cordless drills in cave rescue
- Larkin Frame deployment.
- Underground demonstrations and QA sessions in Ogof Ffynnon Ddu on:
- CaveLink aerial configuration methods to achieve a ‘good earth’,
- rigging for vertical stretcher haul – stretcher level, upright and safe transitions,
- gas detection,
- medical effects and appropriate actions.
Sunday additional activities
- Rescue Kit Forum (Ali Garman and Lyon Equipment).
- Safe streamway rescue techniques and radio communications – Nicola 3.
- Underground medical scenario for advanced first aiders (Brendan Sloan and Gary Evans).
- Cave rescue team stretcher race – time trial over obstacle course.
Saturday evening – Conference Meal and Social Event
- Hog roast, Rugby club bar and guest speaker in Cathedral Cave, Dan yr Ogof Show Cave (kind permission of Ashford Price).
- SWCC bar and social until late.
Read what happened at the 2015 Conference in the Forest of Dean >>